Aloe Vera has been used for over 5,000 years and is one of the most well-known medicinal plants. It is available in gel form for external use and in capsules and juice form to combat a large number of internal problems. While Aloe Vera provides benefits to almost any age group there are numerous benefits directly related major health issues commonly faced by seniors.
At Home Care Assistance of Warren, we recommend that Aloe Vera be a staple in the medicine cabinets of our senior clients who frequently experience or have:
- Cuts and Abrasions – With age, minor cuts and abrasions take longer to heal. Aloe Vera is packed with healing properties which can help mend wounds, abrasions and even burns in a shorter time frame.
- Dry Skin – If your aging loved one has cracked or dry skin or suffers from eczema, a lotion with Aloe Vera is recommended because of its ability to stimulate healthy cell growth and repair damaged tissues.
- Intestinal Problems – Juice with Aloe Vera contains a nutrient compound that can help heal and soothe the lining of the digestive track. In addition to helping decrease inflammation, Aloe Vera enhances the healing and repair of ulcers in the stomach and intestines and can even increase healthy bacteria to aid in digestion.
- Slow Metabolism – Aloe Vera juice has the capacity to stimulate metabolism, particularly increasing the rate in which the body metabolizes its stores of carbohydrates and fats.
- High Cholesterol – When taken daily, Aloe Vera capsules reduces triglycerides which can control your cholesterol level while increasing the level of good cholesterol. Seniors who suffer from high cholesterol may want to consider using this as a treatment to help maintain healthy levels.
- Chronic Joint Pain – Because of its natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, Aloe Vera is reported to help reduce chronic joint pain, particularly in relation to osteoarthritis. It reduces the swelling that occurs, allowing for more movement in one’s joints.
Experts also report that Aloe Vera can help reduce the risk for numerous types including colon cancer and skin cancer. With so many benefits, why not invest in a few Aloe Vera products! However, as with any new treatment or pill (even the natural ones), we recommend that you first consult with your doctor or primary care physician.
If any of the above conditions or ailments prevents you or an aging loved one from completing activities of daily living, contact the Warren live-in care experts at Home Care Assistance today. We offer in-home care services for seniors anywhere from 4 to 24 hours a day, assisting with anything from meal preparation and personal care to medication reminders and transportation. To speak with a devoted Care Manager or to schedule a free consultation, dial 908.450.9400.